With Fall right around the corner we wanted to give you 5 tips to enjoy the season while optimizing your health.
1. Walk - Research shows that walking just 30 minutes a day can improve your mood, quality of sleep, cardiovascular health, and circulation. It can also lower stress levels, improve your mood, and help you maintain a healthy weight. With the cooler temperatures that the Fall season brings you have beautiful weather to encourage you to get outdoors and walk. You'll also have gorgeous views with the changing colors in nature. So lace up your shoes, grab a loved one, and enjoy a walk!
2. Eat Seasonally - Eating by season is something that should be done all year around, and the warm flavors of Fall make it that much easier to do. Fall brings us apples, pumpkin, squash, beets, carrots, cranberries, and so much more. Fall also has us reaching for the cinnamon in our spice racks. Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants, is anti-inflammatory, can lower blood sugar levels, and is said to be one of the healthiest spices on the planet. That's probably why almost everything you see in the Fall includes cinnamon, especially the beloved pumpkin spice!
3. Garden - With the cooler temperatures what better thing to do than start a garden! Now is the time to plant those fruits and veggies you want to enjoy this Winter and Spring! Plus, your garden will help you to continue to eat seasonally all year.
4. Sleep - Proper sleep is always important, but is especially important in the Fall. Daylight savings is approaching, school is starting again for many, which means waking up earlier and keeping a schedule that's more strict than the one kept during the summer, and cold and flu season is beginning. A good night's sleep boosts your immunity, improves overall health, can reduce stress, and can improve your memory.
5. Enjoy Community - We know the pandemic has made it difficult to spend time with loved ones the past few months, but Fall is the perfect time to find ways to safely spend time with our communities. From apple picking to corn mazes and pumpkin patches, the Fall season has so many great outdoor activities that we can enjoy while still staying safe and social distancing. Less sunshine and colder weather make it so important to stay connected to community and nourish yourself mentally. So reconnect with your circle of friends and enjoy the outdoors!
It is so important to develop healthy habits to optimize your life. While these can all be implemented this Fall, they can be done all year around and can be a great way to begin a healthy daily routine.